Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Myself as a Writer

Like many of the students Routman mentions, I hate writing. It's not that I have always hated writing. In elementary I kept diaries and in high school I filled journals with teen angst poetry and stories. But somehow along the way I lost interest. Writing became a chore that I had to do- people stare at me in astonishment when I tell them I would rather do hours of statistics than have to write a paper. That being said my writing process is certainly not one I would EVER model for my students. Here's how I approach writing:

1. Procrastinate until last possible minute
2. Panic that I will not get done in time
3. Sit down to write and stare at the computer until I get up and find something to either, eat, clean up or search for on the Internet.
4. Write a sentence
5. Erase it
6. Write an opening paragraph
7. Erase it
8. Skip ahead and write the meat of my paper
9. Wake up at dawn the day the paper is due then write intro/conclusion
10. Revise quickly and turn in
11. NEVER look at it again!

I know it's terrible, but true. I hope for the sake of my student's that I can learn to enjoy writing again or at least learn to teach it well enough that they don't catch on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment