Monday, October 19, 2009

Invented Spelling

I found Fox's chapters very helpful for understanding how to identify the strategies the students are using and also how to help them improve upon their existing knowledge. As far as invented spelling goes I definitely think it helps more than it hinders. I have seen older kids clam up completely when asked to spell correctly. I think spelling mistakes often keep children from writing. I think in younger grades learning how to spell certain words will develop as their phonemic awareness develops, and as they learn to use resources in the classroom to help. As students get older it is important for them to understand why we sometimes need to do our very best spelling in order to communicate most effectively but in general I don't feel that there needs to be a focus on spelling.

My k-buddy seems to understand letters and sounds pretty well. She makes white space between words and uses both upper and lowercase letters. When unsure of how to spell a word she can easily identify the sound the word starts with. From there she seemed to fill in letters as she felt appropriate according to what sounds were in the word. She would also look around the room for examples she could use to spell words she was unsure of. Overall, I was truly impressed with my k-buddy's skill level! I am equally amazed by how well primary grade teachers can decipher what students are trying to communicate- I am always at a loss :)

No comments:

Post a Comment