Monday, February 1, 2010

Comprehension Strategies

I found Cooper and Routman to be very similar, one article just details more specifically the comprehension strategies and the strategies are slightly different. One of the key elements of both Routman and Cooper is the importance of modeling. As an adult reader this becomes very challenging for me, because as the authors mentioned we do most of our comprehension work unconsciously, so making yourself aware of how you use a particular strategy is difficult. For instance I am teaching my small group literacy lesson on Thursday and at the request of my MT I am introducing the strategy of questioning. I want to be able to effectively model for them how I would do this but I don't know if I actually do- yikes! I guess I probably do on some level think I wonder how this person is feeling or what was the name of that character. But I am teaching the three levels of questioning with a non-fiction text...needless to say I'm not feeling very confident.

I am also seeing now how students can learn a strategy but not be able to really apply it to their reading. We have been working on inferences in the class I am in and many students understand that they rely on information from the text and their own background knowledge to infer something about the text. However, some students are unable to make genuine inferences, instead using something that is already evident in the text, or making very shallow, or confusing inferences. In trying to probe their thinking I am wondering what they are not getting about the concept. They are practicing inferences with both their independent books and the read aloud but still some are coming up short. I am wondering if other skills need to come before making inferences? Do the strategies need to be taught in a certain order or does it matter?

3 comments:

  1. How did it go? I think teaching questioning with nonfiction is an excellent idea! Detail questions, main idea questions, questions to connect text to prior knowledge or personal experience...
    I don't think there needs to be a set order of comprehension strategies taught. I do know it's very important to match text to strategy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wondered about the development of cognitive skills in reading. It may be relational to age as how Piaget described - one skill builds upon the other.

    On my blog site, I have also written about reading strategies.

    http://learnertoteacher.blogspot.com/2010/02/literacy-response-journal_02.html

    ReplyDelete