Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Anne Lamott is my therapist

Bird by Bird has been fabulous to read. I do not consider myself a writer type. I never intend to publish any books or quit my day job to devote myself to writing but I love her book anyway. I think Lamott's writing advice can easily be translated into life advice. Every time I read her it helps me to feel better about myself, and reminds me what is truly important in life- it's like a mini therapy session. I love the anecdotes too. It's wonderful how she manages to make something seemingly unrelated fit into what she's talking about so seamlessly.

One of my favorite anecdotes that she shares is on early on in the book (pg. 46) when she is discussing developing characters. She tells of her friend who goes to alcoholic anonymous meetings and one woman complains about dragging her husband from the front lawn every time he gets drunk and passes out. A woman gives this advice to her:
"Honey? Leave him lay where Jesus flang him."


This phrase has been recycling itself in my mind ever since. Although this may sound silly I have a tendency to do things repeatedly that I don't need to at all. Here's a ridiculous example: Every evening I come home and pick up all the cat toys that they have drug out of the basket during the day, knowing full well that they will continue to play with the toys the next day. So why the heck do I waste my time picking them up every day?! Just leave them lay where Cho Cho flang them!

Although this is a lot easier to say than to do, I have really been working hard to just let some things go. Do I really need to put my husband's toothbrush back where it "belongs" every day, even though it is clearly more convenient for it to be on the counter? Do I really need to clean my entire house before I sit down to do homework? Can't I just do the homework and ignore the dishes in the sink for a couple of hours?
I know this has nothing to do with writing but it's clearly important to me-
actually it's kind-of changing my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment